House Republicans recently released their plan to gut the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare). This proposed bill will take away the Medicare expansion already in place in Ohio, potentially taking away coverage for nearly 700,000 Ohioans who currently have coverage due to the Medicare expansion.
This proposal is full of other bad deals for the average American, including:
- Removing Essential Health Coverage requirements - Including Maternity, Hospitalization and Mental Health coverage, allowing Insurance Companies to decide what types of service gets covered instead of providing a reasonable set of comprehensive services.
- Shifting the subsidies from income-based to age-based - This will further disadvantage working and young families and increase the cost on those most vulnerable and needing of coverage.
- Trades Insurance Exchanges for Tax Breaks for the Wealthy - By ending Obamacare taxes for the wealthy and removing the insurance requirement, the GOP will give away nearly $346,000,000,000 exclusively to people making over $200,000 over the next 10 years while killing the private health care exchanges and sinking any possibility of a replacement option.
- Removes funding for Planned Parenthood - Planned Parenthood does not use funding for abortions from the federal government, but uses federal funding to provide other critical health services. This new law will strip federal funding for any organization which practices abortions, even when these funds are not used for abortion coverage.
This is a bad deal for Ohio and Americans, it takes away federal funding helping us, our neighbors, friends and relatives to purchase affordable health care, is a massive giveaway for the wealthiest and serves to take money out of the pockets of the working families in our communities.
If you are affected by the GOP's Healthcare bad deal or are concerned about how this may affect you or your loved ones, please contact our representatives in Congress. Let them know, as a constituent, you oppose any bill which will remove health care coverage from Ohioans and all Americans.
- Rep. Steve Chabot at (202) 225-2216 or
- Rep. Brad Wenstrup at (202) 225-3164 and
- Senator Rob Portman at (202) 224-3353
You can also find more contact information on our Contact Your Representatives page.